I spent few hours today with the management and marcom team of an international broadcasting company which invited me to have a discussion with them on podcasting/video podcasting.
As you can easily imagine, I love to do some evangelism on this topic and the discussion has been very exciting. Prior to get in the meeting, I've been thinking about 10 good reasons for broadcaster to enter the podcast world:
- A good way to give a second life to a huge amount of content that would directely becomes archives
- An opportunity to create and develop a new audience which might become a new community for the brand
- A way to prepare an evolution to "Television on Internet"
- Generating new traffic on the corporate web (podcasters and bloggers will link to the new available podcast)
- Providing a new form of content, for a younger audience
- Generating some rare content, available only and exclusively through the podcast
- Making some buzz to launch new TV shows: give pieces of exclusive previews through the podcast to give a flavour of it prior to the big launch
- A new source of revenu: you can have sponsors for your podcast (allocine is the first in France having been including ads in the show)
- Generate excitement for existing shows by producing "best of XYZ"
- An interesting way to reach niche audiences that would not normally be reachable for financial means
By the way, if you are interested in Web 2.0 topics, we have a great podcast in France produced by LCI (our CNN), called "Plein écran" (means full screen) that is definitely worth watching ! iTunes feed available here.